Monday, May 9, 2011

Our Favorite Island- St. Maarten!

Day 6 we woke up in St. Maarten. We had heard so many great things from friends who had been there before and couldn't wait to go shopping in downtown Phillipsburg on the Dutch side and catch some rays on one of the beaches on the French side.

But... the first thing I thought of when I woke up that morning was- Kate Middleton must already be a princess by now! haha. I couldn't get enough of the Royal Wedding coverage from the limited channels we had on the cruise ship and I had been watching some CNN coverage before I went to bed the night before. I was so excited to see her dress and all the crowds so I woke up and turned on the tv. The only thing showing anything was Fox News and I tuned in just in time to see the balcony kiss live. Trey thought I was nuts that I was so into the wedding but it was just so neat to think of a real life fairy tale coming true. I wasn't impressed with her dress or makeup but still thought everything about the wedding was so special and she was one lucky girl. I was glad to at least have seen a little part of history in the making (and no worries- I got my full royal wedding coverage at night when our cruise ship broadcast the entire wedding again with their BBC coverage that night- ha, what can I say, my Nana is British and she built it up for me. I had to watch!

Anyway, back to the island. We got off the ship a little later than usual (because of my wedding obsession) and headed to the water taxi stand for a ride to the downtown area for my favorite.... SHOPPING!!!!!




Waiting for the water taxi. The water was just beautiful! The bluest we saw all week. It was unreal.

Water Taxi


Shopping Shopping Shopping!!!!

Trey and I bought some Guavaberry liquor from this famous store. They decorate their bottles with pretty hand painted designs so we made sure to grab a few as a souvenirs.

After we got our shopping fix in we headed to the French side of the island to the north and camped out at Orient Beach to catch some rays before heading back to the ship. It was very windy but made it feel amazing because the sun was blazing down on us but it felt so breezy you didn't feel the heat.
Did I mention the French side is known for their nude beaches? We saw some topless people where we were laying out but for the most part everyone was in bathing suits. We decided to take a stroll and actually in this picture below we were about to cross the rocks behind us, unbeknownst to us into a major nudist colony part of the beach.

I think Trey was hoping to see find some beauties laying out on the beach but the joke was on him. It was old flabby and fat men and women... mostly men! hahahaha And I mean completely naked! He quickly was over the thrill and wanted back the normal side of the beach but I sure got a laugh out of it. And we both couldn't help but break our straight face when we overheard a man getting lathered up in sunscreen by his wife saying, "hey honey, not on my crack." I kid you not. hahahahaha Yep we saw enough old shriveled twig and berries to last us a lifetime. It was an experience for sure and we got a good laugh in us.
Sadly our time in St. Maarten came and went too quickly. We would have loved to see more of the island and experience the beaches a little longer but there was just so much to do and not enough time to do it. It was back to the port so we didn't get left behind. We would love to go back one day though.

We got back on the ship and hung out by the pool for the take off party. Every day when the cruise ship was leaving a port they'd have a party of some sort by the pool so our typical routine was to get back on board and head to the upper deck to relax in one of the many hot tubs and listen to the calypso band playing. It was a nice way to relax at the end of a crazy tour day.

Sunset leaving St. Maarten

View of the Royal Promenade below (basically an indoor shopping mall inside the ship)

That night our room attendant surprised us with yet another amazing towel design feat. When we got back to our room after dinner we saw he had wrapped our towels into a cute little monkey. He was pretty talented with his work all week but thought this one was pretty neat.
Next post- our last day :( in St. Croix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers