If you had asked me as a little girl where I thought I may
be and what I would be doing when I turned 30 I would have probably answered
with a million things so far from where I am now. At first I wanted to be a teacher. I would spend hours in my room as a little
girl, the only girl of 4 with my circle of dolls and stuffed animals reading to
them as a teacher would and showing off all the illustrations before I flipped
to the next page. Then as I grew up I
aimed higher. I thought I’d become a
CEO of a company or the first female president of the United States. I believe the quote from my 8th
grade graduation says “I see myself as the first female president of the United
States fighting for issues like women’s rights.” HA!
But my reality is, I went to UGA as an aspiring broadcaster
studying what else, Broadcast Journalism only to land myself in a coveted
internship with Fox 5 Atlanta the summer before my senior year to throw my
plans to the wind and come up with the ‘brilliant’ idea of heading to law
school the next year. Then, my life
plans really shifted. I spent, undoubtedly
the worst/hardest to date 3 years of my life studying a profession that clearly
wasn’t meant for me, found myself humbled beyond belief in those years as I persevered
to make it through and the few after that as I stumbled to find my way toward
where I was meant to be - Thank God I found a job I love now-, in the process put off getting married for a few years
longer than I had always thought I would, and as ripple effects go, didn’t start
a family until I was 29 years old. Which
means by the time I turn 30, I am way off my original plan of having 4 kids
already.
All this leads me to today, the last day of my 20s! I haven’t had time to really process this huge milestone in the past
two weeks since I feel like I’ve been jumping from one
doctor appointment to the next – first my severely dry eyes where the dr. had
to put plugs in to trap my tears and I’m taking prescription drops to correct
the red/pink staining around my cornea.
Then I came down with another spell of stress induced/teeth grinding at
night TMJ last week which was only exacerbated by an infected nerve beneath an
old cavity that turned into a root canal treatment Tuesday (thank God for
narcotics!). As I told someone this week,
if this is was greats me in the 30s, I fear my 40s!
But I digress, as all attorneys and talkers do. Maybe that profession was really meant for me
after all ;)… but that’s the point of this
rambling. Despite the best laid plans I
wouldn’t change a thing!
I made myself
proud finishing law school and passing the bar and learned so many lessons
about myself along the way. Without that education I wouldn't have the job I have today which allows me to have the best of both worlds seeing my daughter grow every day and helping to provide for my family. I married my
best friend and while we have our moments I wouldn’t want to walk this journey
with anyone else. And best of all we’ve
started a beautiful family together with a daughter who makes my life so rich
and full every day. I can’t imagine nor
would I wish to have it any other way.
It’s funny how God always gives you exactly what you need and can handle
in life and I’m a firm believer that with faith and perseverance anything is
possible.
While it’s easy to say, I always thought I’d be here or
there by the time I reached X age, you just kind of have to stop and appreciate
the ride and where it’s taken you. I’m
not going to lie, saying I’m 20 something sounds way cooler than 30 something
;) But, with age comes knowledge and
experience and hopefully more kids to enrich my life even more. I feel blessed for a wonderful 30 first years
with an amazing family and friends that have helped to shaped me into the person I have
become and I hope that the next 30 bring me equal health, happiness and
blessings along the way. So, happy 30th birthday to me! :)
All the important things in life - family and friends!
![]() |
| Magid Family Ryan's wedding Oct. 2013 |
![]() |
| Spivey/Posener Beach trip July 2013 |
![]() |
| friends at our wedding |
![]() |
| UGA homecoming game Nov 9 - our happy little family |
![]() |
| Best part of every day! |





Yea!!! 30 is a big deal and we are so happy to celebrate with you tomorrow. You have accomplished so much and I know there is much more lying ahead for you! :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd, one more thing...30 is the new 20 and I definitely would argue that the 30's are pretty cool, too. :-)
ReplyDelete