The fun all started Friday when I took the afternoon off to see my brother David, sister in law Asli and nephew Alex who came to town for my dad's surprise 60th birthday. We told my dad that David was in town for business (which he actually is) and because Asli is pregnant we thought we'd throw her a baby shower while they were here. Boy... did he buy that hook line and sinker!
Anyway, it was just so great to see all of them, especially since we hadn't seen each other since our family trip last August! They weren't able to make it to Atlanta over Christmas since Asli's family was visiting them in Houston over the holidays so it had been way to long. I was worried Alex wouldn't even remember me but the second I walked in the door he was all smiles and hugs for his Aunt Stefanie. It really made my weekend to have that sweet boy giving me a million spontaneous hugs and kisses and asking me to pick him up all the time. I literally couldn't walk away without feeling a little hand tapping me on the leg and looking down to see Alex smiling and wanting me to pick him up. So cute! He has really grown up fast and is talking up a storm.
It was also really cute to see Alex and Kevin playing and having a good time at the Aquarium, where we all headed Friday afternoon. They were so thrilled to see all the "big fish" as Alex kept calling them. Only one moment of slight crisis when the whale shark swam a little too close to comfort for Alex. He also didn't like the Penguins getting too close to the glass. When we sat them for a picture he turned to them with his little finger and said, "you stay there." We assured him they wouldn't get him so he would turn around for a picture. Kevin also loved the aquarium and kept singing out loud, "What a day, what a day." It certainly was!
"You stay there penguins!"
Then came our crazy but fun Saturday. The morning started off with a Birthday party for Harper. Can't believe she's already three!!! My sister in law Carrie Beth did an amazing job decorating for Harper's ice cream themed party and Handley, Harper and Hudson looked adorable in their smocked ice cream outfits. All the kids seemed to have a great time at the party and the weather was just perfect! We would've loved to stay to see Harper open all her gifts but we had to run home to make it just in time to see Ryan and Meghan pull up the drive way.
The Birthday Girl!
Ryan was perhaps the biggest surprise for my dad's party that night since he flew down from New York and daddy had NO idea at all he was coming. To keep the surprise going until the night he came to my house first. Then the madness continued. I only had a few hours left to help my mom out with what I then found out had been a chaotic day at the Magid home.
She called to tell me my dad had been at the emergency room since 4 am after he got a call from Nana that my grandfather had fallen and broken his back :( I'll have to share more about them later but it's been a sad and hard time these past few months for everyone, but especially my mom and dad in caring for my grandfathers who have pretty much fallen off the map with their progressed Alzheimer's.
While my Abuelo still has his good moments it's not so for Grandfather who is at the point where my Nana can't care for him on her own so he's going to have to go to a facility that can help him and help her. As you can imagine it's just been a tough time. But, all the arrangements were set for him to leave in about a week so with the accident it came as a horrible change of plans while he sits in the hospital a few days to recover.
And, that meant my dad was just emotionally and mentally drained by the time his party came. All in all, while the timing was unfortunate I think both he and my Nana needed that party to remind them of all the good they have in their life right now. But, it was an emotional entrance for all to see his overwhelmed but happy face when he walked in and saw how many people loved him and were there to celebrate his wonderful life. I honestly thought I saw him fight tears (which I have Never seen in my life) when he saw and hugged Ryan. It was a sweet moment.
Then it was party time! My mom catered the party and that helped out a LOT. The food was great, the company was great and everyone had a great time.
Daddy even got some great gifts including my labor of love. I had been scrambling over the last week to finish a scrap book I made for my dad of his life to remind him that turning 60 is a blessing and a good thing and help him to remember - in case he forgot - that he really has lived a wonderful life. I think he got the message :)






Then Sunday we all headed to Our Lady of the Assumption to go to mass together for the first time in I can't remember and had lunch afterward at Jason's Deli.
me and my little buddyAnd after that it was off to Stone Mountain to walk around the village and enjoy the beautiful weather! Alex had fun running around and playing on the playground. It made me really excited for summer just around the corner and Trey kept saying how we needed to get friends together to see the new laser show. I can't wait!


All in all this was a great weekend with the ones I love most but please keep my grandfathers in your prayers. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be blessed with such a wonderful life surrounded by the loving family they helped create.

Those two little boys are so cute and I love that you had a little shadow all weekend. How sweet. Looks like the party was a hit! So sorry to hear about your grandfather. Definitely praying...
ReplyDeleteBusy weekend you had, girl! Sounds like the fam had a blast! Let's get together soon and talk about all things awesome and depressing :)
ReplyDelete