Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Half Marathon Weekend & Buckhead Bomber Photoshoot

What a fun couple of days it has been!  Everything started last Friday when the Atlanta 1/2 Marathon weekend kicked off.  I went with Trey and Sophia to pick up my packet and bib number at the Expo event at the World Congress Center and it really opened my eyes to a whole new world.  I tell you - I had no idea all the things that runners do and use for the sport and I guess I'd never really thought of running as a sport but it really is if you get into it.  There were tons of vendors at the expo giving away goodies and selling running gear and paraphernalia (Trey loved it to say the least! ;) ... but it got me so excited for the race on Sunday.




But the race would have to wait a day because Saturday we headed to Six Flags for the annual RaceTrac Family day event.  They opened the park early to RaceTrac employees but we didn't quite make it for that part.  We did manage to get there in time to ride 1 ride - the Batman before we headed to the RaceTrac pavilion to hang out with our friends and eat lunch.  It was a lot of fun but we left shortly after that so Sophia could take a much needed nap and in all honesty so I could get off my feet and rest up for the big race.
Ansley MacLaurin and Sophia



Someone was getting sleepy

Didn't even make it to the car and she was out!

And the day was not over because we went home and immediately packed up and left again to head downtown for a stay at the Courtyard Marriott.  We thought it would be better to be close to the race in the morning since I had to be there so early and figured driving there would be a nightmare.  The hotel was so nice and we were close to so many fun places downtown so we met up with parents to celebrate my mom's birthday at Azio's Downtown by HardRock.


Happy Birthday Abuela!



I wish I could say it was a pleasant night after that but little stinker kept us up ALL night long.  I'd say if I slept 4.5 hours before that race I'd be surprised.   5 am came WAY too early.  But my adrenaline was kicking and I was excited for my first big race!

I headed to my start corral (which was near the back of the pack) on Marietta St. and just took it all in.  There were SO MANY people there and you could tell who the serious runners were.  So many people jogging around to get their pre race warm ups in.  I had to laugh because I grabbed a coffee on my way out of the hotel just praying the extra boost of caffeine would help.  Not exactly the breakfast of champions but my pre race bagel and calm nerves served me well.  I did find a friendly face in the crowd and it put me ease as I prepared for the start.  Then before I knew it, the speakers were announcing the race had started.  There was loud pump up music playing as all 15,000 of us inched toward the start line waiting for our time chips to kick in and 12 minutes in I was crossing the start line on my way.
My view heading toward the start line 1/4 mile back at 7 am


And that's when it kinda becomes a blur.  I just remember thinking, I can't believe I'm running on these streets where I always drive to meet customers downtown.  I kept thinking this is so Neat!  We ran past the GA State Bar building, GA State Campus, MLK, Little Five Points and before I knew it was nearing Virginia Avenue and Piedmont Park.  I blew past Trey and Sophia the first time(we just missed each other in Va Highlands around mile 8 because I was going so much faster than I predicted I would to Trey so he had to race to meet me when the race exited Piedmont Park around mile 10.  It was so fun seeing them and gave me the extra boost of energy I needed to run the last 3 miles through midtown and GA Tech in 28 minutes.  I couldn't believe that I went from training an avg of 12.8 min miles to 11.18 (and I really didn't walk that much)... which likely explains why I can hardly move still ;)
I noticed others taking this break for a photo opp on the Jackson St. Bridge near MLK Center so I followed their lead.

It's true what they say that the energy from the crowd cheering and all the participants around you just keeps you moving.  It really was so fun!  I can't say I aspire to run a marathon after that one or that I'll be signing up for a half anytime soon but I can definitely cross that off my bucket list and I'm so glad I set my mind to do it 10 weeks ago.  It was an amazing feeling crossing that finish line in less than 2 and half hours.


About to cross the finish line






And the feel good vibes I had from Sunday continued into the week because I got to get all dolled up today for a photoshoot!  I can now say being a model would be so fun!  I was called to model for a possible spot in a calendar that is being created to showcase daughters, wives and granddaughters of WWII vets, and other military conflicts in their relative's bomber jackets.  All the proceeds will go to the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Savannah (that my grandfather actually helped found).  My grandfather was a bomber pilot in the 8th Air Force Army Air Corp during WWII and flew B-17 bomber planes over Germany and my dad noticed an ad in the AJC a few months ago saying this group- the Buckhead Bomber Girls was looking for models for this calendar.  You have to be a relative and have the bomber jacket of the vet, etc. but anyway he submitted it on my behalf and I got a call!

We shot today at the Peachtree Dekalb Airport and I felt like a little celebrity.  I can see how nice it would be to have an entourage at your service because I literally walked on set and had a pair doing my hair and makeup at the same time and they transformed me in a matter of 15 minutes.  It was Unreal!  And - I LOVED what they did to my hair and makeup.  Broken record I know- but it was so fun!






I really can't wait to see the pictures (they said they would share some when it was all done) and while I don't know if I'll make the calendar or the magazine they are also apparently using the pics for, regardless it was a neat experience.  One of the girls there was so nice and texted me some pics she took while her husband was shooting so I have some proof of the day.

All in all, it has been a fun few days and now we're looking forward to a fun weekend ahead to celebrate Trey's cousin -Kaitlyn's wedding in Wilmington!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers