Anyway, last weekend was far from that. It started off as usual with fun parties and Sunday morning we celebrated Will's Baptism. It was a nice service though as predicted fell during his nursing time that day. Thankfully, I came prepared with a bottle and despite the slight chaos of the moment with Will trying to feed and little kiddos running around it was a beautiful little service.
| Will and his Godparents, Uncle Jon and Aunt Lisa |
We had the family over to our place after the service and when everyone was gone because we'd turned down an invitation to our monthly dinner club we headed up to the pool to try to relax a bit and unwind before the next work week.
Well, Murphy's Law I suppose... we got up to the pool and our neighborhood friends happened to be there. Everyone had brought food up so we all just started eating dinner and enjoying the chill night. I remember thinking for the briefest of moments how relaxing it was just sitting there with good company, good food and listening to relaxing tunes coming from my friend's iphone on the Jack Johnson pandora channel. Then, not even 15 minutes later all hell broke loose.
I'd been trying to wrangle Sophia in to eat and had fed Will, then asked Trey to hold him so I could eat. He started fussing again so I grabbed him and attempted to eat holding him when a friend asked if she could hold him to help me out. I handed him to her and started to take a bite. I remember seeing her propping Will on her knees as she grabbed his hands and sat there talking to him. I really don't know what happened next but I glanced out of the corner of my eye just in time to see Will's wiggly body arch backward and twist around, slam his head into the metal arm rest of one of the pool deck chairs before falling head first on the concrete. I swear I saw her holding him only by his ankles or calfs when he fell and for a few moments I think I blacked out. I just remember looking back and noticing the chair I'd been sitting in had been knocked over (I hope I didn't hit Sophia who'd been standing next to me because she was crying). I ran over to grab Will who was screaming his head off and my heart was beating out of my chest as I screamed out oh my God! It was terrifying seeing him fall like that and I think in the briefest of moments I feared the worse that he could die from it or have permanent brain damage (thankfully at that point I hadn't had a chance to scare myself and think he could've been paralyzed had he hit a certain way).
Anyway, mom in me took over. I had neighbors scrambling to help me (that saying, "It takes a village" really came to mind... we really are blessed to live in the best neighborhood with some of our now best friends who just stepped up to help me in that moment in every way you can think of). I immediately thought I should call 911 and it was a thought reaffirmed by an older mother who came up to tell me I certainly should take Will to get his head checked out because her daughter seemed to be the only who who saw how Will fell and said it was awful!
So I took him home, called 911 and when the paramedics arrived my friend, who's a nurse and had been there with us (but left just shortly before it happened) came over and helped me think in that moment. She works in the neuro unit at Children's here in Atlanta and just again advised me to take him in but not to worry that he seemed ok and she deals with those falls everyday. I knew I wouldn't be ok until he was checked out so off Trey and I went. Again- so grateful for wonderful friends who swooped in to take Sophia off our hands... they came in to get our pack and play and Sophia's pajamas, etc. I knew she loved our friends Jaime and Warren and her boyfriend Colton so at least I didn't have to worry about that.
When we got to Children's we lucked out because there was hardly any wait but literally 5 minutes later the waiting room filled out completely. We got Will back so fast but still had to wait on the test and the CT Scan. I kept getting emotional in the trauma of it all but I was so relieved when the dr came back and told us everything was ok. I still couldn't believe it and I think when we got home and all the next day I just couldn't believe it because I kept replaying his fall in my head. Anyway, so blessed that he's ok and he certainly had his Guardian Angel watching over him and all of us. It's moments like that that put life in perspective but it was a little too much excitement for all of us. Still so relieved a week later that he's ok.
![]() |
| Little guy finally fell asleep at the hospital while we waiting on results |
So... you'd think we had our fill by Sunday but no no no... the "fun" continued. Sleep deprived we trucked on to Monday only to find by Tuesday afternoon our upstairs AC unit went out... did I mention it's been close to 100 degrees here all week? Yea... so that's been fun, especially since it's now Saturday and we still haven't had anyone come fix it. The earliest appt we could get is for Monday... ridiculous!
Oh yea, Tuesday night we also had an incident with our carbon monoxide detector going off. We couldn't figure out how to stop it (it wasn't so much the alarm sound as a constant beep beep beep like a battery failing makes. But it wouldn't stop even with changing the battery so finally around 1 am we called the gas company feeling like it might not be safe to sleep there (which we had all of us in the downstairs room to sleep together btw since the AC wasn't working). The gas co said they were sending someone out so we were told to wait outside. ha! At this point we'd had enough so I packed a bag and took the kids to my parents house. Our nanny was going to be out the next day anyway (she's gone until July 5th on a trip to Honduras) and I was going to need my mom's help to work so we just headed that way. You'd think that was enough excitement for the night but no no no... at 1:30 in the morning what did we come across? STANDSTILL on 285 by spaghetti junction. I couldn't have dreamed it better. What a nightmare. We finally made it to my parents by 2 am. I was alone with the kids because Trey had to stay behind and wait on the gas guy. I got the kids back to sleep and slept a few more hours until Will woke everyone up around 7 and off to another day it was...
Wednesday finished uneventfully and we headed back home with the all clear from the gas co (still don't know what happened but no traces of carbon monoxide were found). I slept the rest of the week downstairs with Will and Trey and Sophia slept upstairs with fans on. When the sun went down it wasn't quite as hot up there.
And then came Friday. I had my first work appt out of the house and my mom and grandma were over helping watch the kids. I came home and noticed the rug under our kitchen sink was completely soaked. Finding that strange we looked under the sink so see a pipe had come loose or burst. There was water everywhere! It had leaked under the floor boards and was bubbling up in the parts where they join together. Just what Trey wanted to see when he came home from the longest week ever! We had to laugh about it. You just can't make this stuff up. :)
Anyway, thankfully one of our neighbors had a dehumidifier we have running now to soak up the water and while the floor looks damaged it could be worse.
They say things come in 3s but to my count that would be 4 for the week. Let's hope we're not on the 2nd round of 3.
Trey and I got invited by my friend Puja to the Braves game tonight and there's a free concert to see Boys II Men afterward. Her tickets are through her law firm Troutman Sanders and they're right behind homeplate in the SunTrust seats. We are so excited for this much needed date night and I think it's going to be the R and R we need. Here's hoping nothing eventful happens this coming week because we are done ;) But like we keep saying, at least everyone is ok and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

Oh my goodness!!! What a week is right. It can only go up from here, right! Please let us know if we can do anything for y'all!!!
ReplyDelete