"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way." - Jimmy Buffett
I feel like we never stop so yet again, this is another late post but one I feel is worth writing. The day after Halloween, Trey received a call letting us know our friend Josh Bruner had passed away in a car accident in Athens. We've now had almost 2 weeks to process the news and yet it still seems as surreal as that night. It's hard to believe someone who lived life to the fullest with such passion and intensity could be here one second and gone the next.
It seems like just yesterday Trey and I were sitting in our living room listening to Bruner tell us of his crazy adventures that had kept him away for a few years. We listened while in true Bruner fashion he talked the night away and there wasn't a dull moment - there never was with Bruner. We said goodbye as he headed back to Athens to help his brother with a bar opening and little did we know that was the last time we'd see him alive.
Trey can't remember many college memories that Bruner wasn't in the picture. And for that matter I can't remember many memories from the day I met Trey that Bruner wasn't close by. While it's true that Trey briefly dated my friend before we met, it's truly Bruner to credit for me being married to Trey. Bruner had a brief thing going with a sorority sister of mine who dragged me to a party one night 8 years ago to see him. It was that night that I really "met" Trey and the rest is history. I always remember Bruner being the sidekick and fun friend that always had Trey's back and once I was in the picture always had mine too.
While Bruner was in our wedding, we hadn't seen much of him over the past few years. And yet, that day over this past summer when he popped back into our lives felt like no time had passed at all - a sign of a true friend.
It's always hard to put into words what someone means to you and I supposed you never truly understand how much you appreciate and love someone until they're gone. I watched Trey express emotions at the loss of one of his best friends that was so hard as a spouse to see. It's just hard to watch someone you love hurt and know there's nothing you can do to make their loss feel any better. He loved Josh as all of Bruner's friends did. Josh was quite simply a likeable and loveable guy. There wasn't much you couldn't love about him because he just made it so easy.
I told Trey that of all his friends I just always appreciated how much Bruner cared. Like his friends eulogized at his funeral last week, he was so loyal. You knew you could always count on him and I even remember calling on him more than a few times when I needed something during my law school years when Trey and our other friends were no longer around. I knew I could always count on Bruner to come help me out - and he always did.
Bruner's obituary described him as a true vagabond and one who loved living a life of adventure and that couldn't be more true. That's how we'll remember him and like I told Trey after we heard the bad news, I like to think that Bruner is now on his greatest adventure yet in heaven. I'm sure he's giving God a run for his money and pulling some crazy stunts up there and that thought makes me smile. I know we'll see our friend again one day and I'm only sorry that our little girl won't get to meet him. We sure will have some crazy stories to share with her.
Rest in peace friend. There can never be another that comes close to you.





Lovely post and I'm so glad you took the time to write it. I'm in tears after reading your memories. Praying for all Bruner's friends and family as they continue to heal and grieve.
ReplyDelete